Australia - National Broadband Plan Version 1

Synopsis

In early 2007 the Labor Party proposed its National Broadband Network. Under the proposal, a rollout of a new Fibre-to-the-Node network would deliver high-speed broadband at 40 times faster than current speeds to 98% of Australians. The remaining 2% of Australian’s in regional and rural areas not covered by the FttN network would have improved broadband services through wireless and satellite. The key part of the proposal is to roll out a nationwide backbone network that would be able to services local access networks. In this report we: discuss the plan; analyse the developments; and provide ongoing updates on these developments.

Table of Contents

  • 1. Synopsis
  • 2. Analysis of the Governments NBN RFP (separate report)
  • 3. Government’s national broadband plan
    • 3.1 A Broadband Future for Australia
    • 3.2 Recent developments
      • 3.2.1 Opposition calls Senate Select Committe to examine NBN
      • 3.2.2 TransACT to launch its own NBN, Macquarie bank joins Telstra
  • 4. Initial comments on the plan
  • 5. The Minister preparing to shake up the industry
    • 5.1 Conroy is committed
    • 5.2 No results without a very big stick
    • 5.3 Build on success of LLU
    • 5.4 Don’t celebrate yet
    • 5.5 Industry cooperation
      • 5.5.1 Pre-election preparations
      • 5.5.2 Industry suggestions for the NBN
    • 5.6 Communications Alliance
  • 6. Open Access is imperative
  • 7. Australia – FttH SIG (separate report)
  • 8. FttX Plans from Telstra and G9 (separate Report)
  • 9. Related reports

Related Reports

Purchase this Report

US$50.00

Licence Information

Focus Report Profile

Technologies

Broadband Fixed
Regulations & Government Policies

Number of pages 9

Status Archived

Last updated 4 Apr 2008
Update History

Analyst: Paul Budde

Share this Report

Purchase with Confidence

Your blogs and website provide a lot of vital information and data and I would like to congratulate you for this. I find it a very useful point of reference in my work.

Arijit Das, Consumer Electronics and Mobility - Retail and Distribution professional Kolkata, India

Special Offers

Caribbean - Telecoms, Mobile, and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
US$795.00 until 30 Oct 2019
(normal price US$1,590.00)

Venezuela - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
US$575.00 until 30 Oct 2019
(normal price US$1,150.00)

Azerbaijan - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
US$375.00 until 16 Oct 2019
(normal price US$750.00)

South Korea - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses
US$575.00 until 16 Oct 2019
(normal price US$1,150.00)

Sample Reports

A selection of downloadable samples from our Annual Publications catalogue.


Download a Sample Report

More than 4,000 customers from 140 countries utilise BuddeComm Research

Are you interested in BuddeComm's Custom Research Service?

News & Views

Have the latest telecommunications industry news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to Paul's FREE weekly News & Views.