The total market, including telecommunications equipment is worth $38 billion, growing to $40 billion in 2004. The services market will grow 6.5% this year and we predict a 7.4% growth for 2004. Optus will, by 2005/6, become the market leader in mobile, based on revenues. Telstra is successfully defending its fixed voice market, with control of approx 80% of this market. By 2003 the value of the data market had grown to over $8 billion; growth for 2004 is again expected to be above 15%.
Table of Contents
2. Australian market growth: 6% in 2003 and 7% in 2004
3. Optus set to become mobile revenue leader in 2005/6
4. Telstra remains strong in its core voice business
5. The dying market of independent voice competitors
6. Data and broadband markets
7. Government regulations remain a problematic area