Australia - National Broadband Network - The NBN company
The goal of the nbn, the company overseeing Australia’s National Broadband Network (NBN) project, is to build a nationwide, wholesale-only, high-speed, open broadband network. Since its inception it has been selecting technology and designing the network and systems, as well as developing a wholesale product offering.
In its original plan under the previous government, the company would connect 93% of homes, schools and workplaces to an optical fibre network (fibre-to-the-premises – FTTP), providing high-speed broadband services to Australians in urban and regional towns. The remaining 7% of premises would be connected to an LTE-based fixed wireless network, and for those outside these footprints to a satellite network.
With the arrival of a new government, the original plan was replaced by what they call an ‘Optimised Multi-Technology Mix’.
By late 2017 there were 14 NBN wholesale providers offering a mix of backhaul and wholesale aggregation services to RSPs seeking to tap into its access network and interconnect points.
Despite the downgrade the government promised that under the new plan at least 90% of Australians would get broadband speeds of about 50Mb/s by year-end 2019.
The new plan would cost $41 billion (which has since been increased to approx $50 billion). It is a move away from a pure FTTP plan to a multi-technology approach deploying FTTP, FTTN, FTTB/DP and HFC in addition to fixed wireless and satellite.
This report also provides financial and operational information regarding the NBN as well as the company’s corporate plan, including forecasts. It also provides on overview of the various network developments and analyses as they occur over the roll our period.
Table of Contents
3. NBN Wholesale Provider Overview
4. NBN Statistical Overview
4.1 FY 2017
4.2 FY 2016
5. Broadband Market Share by Provider
5.1 June 2017
5.2 December 2016
5.3 June 2016
6. Corporate Plans
6.1 NBN Corporate Plan 2017
6.2 NBN Corporate Plan for the period 2014 – 2018
7. The network plan
7.1 Overall design and architecture
7.2 User access to the network
7.3 The backhaul network
7.4 ACCC location of 121 POIs
7.5 Points-of-interconnect (POI) architecture
7.6 PoI network redundancy
7.7 Paid for Network Extension
7.8 IPv6 transition
8. Three year construction plan - 2015-2018
9. Other developments
9.1 NBN top-up 2016/17
9.2 Progress towards the Multi-Technology Mix
9.3 NBN Co buys TransACT
9.4 Mobile Backhaul
10. Telstra upgrades pit and pipe infrastructure
11. NBN Infrastructure Co-Development Program
12.1 Building Australia’s white elephant – cheap buy for white knight Telstra
13. Other reports
Table 1 – NBN Revenue Statistics – 2013 - 2017
Table 2 – NBN ARPU – 2013 - 2017
Table 3 – NBN Capital Expenditure – 2013 - 2017
Table 4 – Cost per premises – 2014 -2017
Table 5 – Cumulative End User Subscriptions by Technology – 2013 - 2017
Paul has been a relentless advocate and tireless activist for making the world a more connected place.
His passion for broadband and his firm belief in its transformational impact on societies across the globe is unrivalled.
I am honoured to call Paul a friend and I trust he will keep up the fight for better broadband and better access to broadband for all people, wherever they live and whatever their background, into the future.
Senator Stephen Conroy, former Communications Minister and Deputy Leader of the Opposition in the Senate