Nationwide free Wi-Fi remains the most reliable means of communication in Niue
BuddeComm’s report Niue - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Market Insights and Statistics provides a comprehensive overview of the trends and developments in the telecommunications market of Niue, including industry and operator data updates and estimates through to 2014.
The island of Niue is a self-governing nation in free association with New Zealand. Its small and dwindling population relies on foreign aid, especially from New Zealand and Australia. Compared with other Pacific island countries, GDP per capita is relatively high. Extreme weather conditions, such as heavy storms at certain times of the year, and Cyclone Heta in 2004, have been responsible for damaging or destroying the country’s infrastructure, including the telecom network.
Penetration of telecom services
Niue has the highest level of internet penetration per head of population in the Pacific. It also has the highest teledensity, with a fixed-line phone in almost every one of the island’s 800 households. Mobile penetration, however, is low, and GSM services only became available in 2011.
State-owned Telecom Niue is the only provider of fixed line, mobile, and ADSL services. Its network was upgraded in 2011 from analogue to IP-based technology. The only other telecom company in Niue is the Internet Users Society Niue (IUSN), trading as Internet Niue, which provides free Wi-Fi internet access to the whole island.
Free Wi-Fi service
Internet Niue’s Wi-Fi network allows Niueans and visitors to use their laptops, PCs, smartphones, PSPs, or other Wi-Fi-enabled devices to go online anywhere on Niue where there is Wi-Fi coverage. Any visitor can access the Wi-Fi network after paying the registration fee, and remain connected to the open-node for the duration of their stay at no additional charge. Wi-Fi has been an ideal solution for Niue, where the hostile weather conditions often interfere with the copper-wire network.
- Telecom Niue is installing a fibre-optic cable around the island to provide a multimedia system capable of carrying voice, data, and TV services to every village in Niue.
- Telecom Niue’s IP network uses Asterisk open source communications platform.
- Telecom Niue provides mobile voice and data services branded Rockcel Mobile.
- Mobile services include prepaid and SMS, but international mobile roaming remains unavailable.
This report provides an overview of trends and developments in the Niuean telecommunications market. Subjects covered include:
- Market and industry overviews;
- Facts, figures, and statistics;
- Telecommunications policies and regulatory issues;
- Major players (fixed, mobile, and broadband);
- Fixed-line market and infrastructure;
- Broadband market;
- Mobile market.