India initially embraced the internet with a degree of ambivalence. There take up of faster services was limited; however, there was tremendous enthusiasm among dial-up users and an estimated 60% of internet users were regularly accessing the internet via the country’s more than 10,000 cybercafes. When it came to high-speed broadband access, for long time there was a reluctance to adopt what was on offer, especially within the corporate sector, and the growth of broadband remained relatively slow for some time.
By 2015 there were around 15.5 million fixed broadband subscribers – a lowly penetration (by population) of slightly more than 1%. In the meantime, mobile broadband technologies had started to attract considerable interest in India. Having paid large licence fees on the back of the government’s spectrum auctions, the operators were keenly promoting their mobile data services. Significant network rollouts had been completed and there was no doubt that this was accelerating the adoption of broadband. This report looks at the stage the development of broadband internet has reached in India and includes relevant statistics.
- the fixed broadband market growth has slowed;
- the take up rate for mobile broadband has been accelerating rapidly;
- the government has placed a major emphasis on getting broadband into the rural areas.
- the government has launched its National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN) Project;
- by March 2015 it had rolled out fibre-optic links to 5,000 villages;
- under the program, the government aimed to connect 100,000 villages by March 2016;
- the government plans to set up 100 smart cities, with most of the states having at least two smart cities each;
- Tata Communications was selling a share of its data centre assets.
Companies covered in this report include:
Aircel/Dishnet, Bharti Airtel, Idea/Spice, Reliance Communications, Tata Teleservices, Vodafone Essar, Bharti Telenet, Reliance Infocomm, Tata Teleservices, Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd (VSNL), Tata Indicom, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL), Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL), Augere, Dimension Data.