Four companies dominate Brazil’s mobile telecom market: Spanish Telefónica’s Vivo, Mexican América Móvil’s Claro, Telecom Italia’s TIM Brasil, and Oi, controlled by Portugal Telecom and by the Brazilian Andrade Gutierrez group. Together, these four operators control 97% of the country’s mobile subscriber base. Vivo is the leader, TIM Brasil and Claro compete neck-and-neck for second place, and Oi is fourth. The remaining 3% of the market is shared between CTBC Telecom, Sercomtel, Nextel Brasil, and the country’s first Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO), Porto Seguro, which launched in 2012.
Although Brazil’s MVNO market is still embryonic, it has attracted a great deal of interest from national and international investors. Companies are being understandably cautious – considering the challenges of the Brazilian mobile market and the long list of failed MVNOs around the world. Anatel has issued four MVNO authorisations, and more are expected. The most significant MVNO launch on the cards is Virgin Mobile, which hopes to become the largest MVNO in Latin America with its youth-focused, transparent market strategy. But Virgin Mobile’s start of operations in Brazil, scheduled for the second half of 2013, risks being delayed by bureaucratic complications and difficulties in reaching MVNO agreements with mobile network operators.
This report profiles all of Brazil’s mobile operators, together with relevant statistical data and analyses.
Claro remains the market leader for 3G services; Claro launches Brazil’s first mobile LTE network; TIM Brasil signs LTE roaming with TIM (Italia); Vivo and Oi deploy LTE networks; Nextel rolls out full 3G services in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro; Oi merger with Portugal telecom secures regulatory approval; Datora rebrands as Vodafone Brazil following M2M partnership deal; includes telcos’ operating and financial data to Q1 2014; regulator’s market data to April 2014; market developments to mid-2014.
Companies covered in this report include:
TelefônicaBrasil/Vivo, TIM Brasil, Claro, Oi, Nextel Brasil, Algar/CTBC Telecom, SercomtelCelular, Unicel/Aeiou, Porto Seguro, Datora Telecom, Virgin Mobile, Sisteer, Terapar.